2021 news highlights from TheNewsMarket
2021 – what a strange year it was. Despite the gloomy predictions, the global economy went from despair to exuberance. But, just when we thought it was safe to go travelling/clubbing/Christmas partying, along came a new Covid variant, called Omicron, to snuff out some of our newly found optimism (definitely not part of the 2021 news highlights).
The move from pandemic to endemic may take a lot longer than anyone thought. But it wasn’t all doom in 2021. Sport brought some cheer in the summer months. And trade shows started to re-open (well some of them).
Here’s TheNewsMarket’s 2021 news highlights list of the top five stories, events, and trends:
Despite the rapid roll-out of vaccines in the world’s major economies, Covid-19 was never far from the headlines. The WHO continued to call for more equitable access to vaccines, as new and highly transmittable variants of the virus emerged. Sadly, it won’t be going away any time soon.
The UN summit closed with the signing of the Glasgow Climate Pact. It was described as a “fragile win” by the COP President, Alok Sharma. One highlight was the launch of the biggest ever global coalition for clean energy.
2021 was the year that electric vehicles went mainstream. The likes of Kia, SEAT and Genesis unveiled their new all-electric models, and their visions for sustainability.
Record-breaking performances combined with historic broadcasting ratings and high levels of digital engagement to make the Tokyo Games highly successful and truly inspiring. We can look forward to the Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games in Beijing in early February.
At the beginning of the year, absolutely no-one was predicting a swift rebound from 2020’s contraction. But the markets and most major economies swung back into the black. However, the IMF is now concerned over the prospects for next year.
Top 5 most viewed stories in November
- 2022 Pan−African (Re)Insurance Journalism Awards Expands as Organizers Call for Entries – Continental Reinsurance claims our top story this month with their announcement that, for the first time, Arabic entries may be submitted for the 2022 pan-African (re)insurance journalism awards.
- Olympic Golden Rings award winners unveiled – The IOC announced the winners of the prestigious award for the best broadcast coverage of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020.
- Autonomous driving trailblazer and entrepreneur of digitalization for the automotive industry, Elmar Frickenstein, takes the Chair of Cubic Telecom’s Board – The new appointment of Elmar Frickenstein for Cubic Telecom is our third most viewed story this month.
- MIHO NONAKA ON HER OLYMPIC DEBUT AND KEEPING POSITIVE THROUGH HER INJURY TO WIN SILVER – From the Adidas “In Their Words” series, Olympic Climber and Silver Medalist Miho Nonaka talks through her debut Olympics and overcoming her injury.
- The Kia Concept EV9 – Kia’s All-electric SUV Concept takes Center Stage at AutoMobility LA – Following the launch of the EV6, the Kia Concept EV9 hints at the next model in Kia’s dedicated EV line-up.
Coming up in December and January…
- The London EV Show will run from 14-16 Dec.
- Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week begins from 15-19 Jan.
- The World Economic Forum is back in Davos, Switzerland from 17-21 Jan.
The 2021 news highlights have covered some fantastic stories of top brands and events from around the world. Find out more about our services and thenewsmarket.com today, by messaging us via our contact page.